Begin your adventure at the pier with your knowledgeable guide who will take you on an intimate drive through Skagway's historic district & residential district on your way to the backcountry gold rush-era town of Dyea. Explore the Inside Passage, the gorgeous Naku Bay Overlook, the Chilkoot Trailhead, and the Taiya River Overlook for a well-rounded trip to Skagway.
Once out of town, your tour will lead you over a mountain road to what was once the gold rush city of Dyea. Along the way, you'll stop at the Naku Bay overlook, and be able to look down at the Inside Passage, North America's longest and deepest fjord. The next stop is the trailhead of the Chilkoot Trail, the world-famous trail which was the main route to the riches of the Klondike during the gold rush over 100 years ago. It's now covered in lush rainforest alive with birds, animals, and wildflowers.
The last, but certainly not least, stop is the old abandoned gold rush town of Dyea. Massive spruce and hemlock trees grow alone in what was once the streets of a bustling town full of stampeders seeking fortune. On our way back to Skagway, there will be amazing photo opportunities at the Taiya River Overlook. This tour is a perfect way to discover the rich history of the small town of Skagway.
Duration: 2 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip narrated scenic tour
- Bottled water
- There are no age restrictions for this tour
- Guest's responsibility to determine if they are physically and mentally able to participate in the activity
- Liability Waiver required
Duration: 2 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 10 minutes meet and greet with your guide
- 10 minutes tour of Skagway's Residential District
- 20 minutes drive out of town to a stop at Naku Bay Overlook
- 25 minutes drive along the coast to the Chilkoot Trailhead (bathroom break)
- 25 minutes journey to the historic townsite of Dyea
- 15 minutes back down to the stop at the overlook of the Taiya River
- 25 minutes returning to Skagway with a stop at Skagway overlook
- This tour meets at the end of the pier where your cruise ship is docked. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus. This tour cannot accommodate larger wheelchairs or scooters of any kind.
Are there restrooms available on this excursion?
Yes - restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing and at the Chilkoot Trail Trailhead.
Are there any age restrictions on this tour?
No. This tour is great for all ages. Children under the age of 2 are free.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Jul 2022 - Madelyn C.
Mariah was very good at explaining everything in detail. The scenery was great and it was a nice afternoon!
Sep 2021 - Mark T.
Very knowledgeable tour guide.
Great chance to talk with locals.