From Skagway, the trip begins with a 45-minute ferry ride along the steep-walled fjords connecting Skagway to Haines. Over a dozen unnamed waterfalls drop hundreds of feet from the cliff sides on both sides of the boat. Marvel at the scenery and look for humpback whales, harbor seals, and bald eagles.
Arrive in Haines where you will meet your wilderness guide and set out on a seaside drive to Chilkoot Lake State Park. This park has many highlights including Tlingit Indian cultural sites, a salmon-filled river flowing into the sea, and a turquoise lake surrounded by snow-capped mountains.
Once you arrive at Chilkoot Lake State Park, take in the scenery as you board your two-person sea kayaks. Your expert guide will show you the basics of paddling. Outfitted with the proper gear, you will soon be gliding silently along the shores of the lake. This pristine lake is uncrowded, and the scenery is spectacular. Huge waterfalls spill off of the cliffs surrounding the lake, lush green forests crowd the shoreline, and wildlife abounds. Pause at the base of one of these waterfalls, where your guide will reveal the secret workings of the rainforest.
Beginning in July, sockeye salmon spawn in one of the clear streams that feed into the lake. Eagles and bears are often attracted to this spot, and you will be able to view all the activity from your kayak. Total time on the lake is approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
Paddle back to shore and enjoy a box lunch before driving back to Haines. Once back in Haines, board the high-speed catamaran for your journey back to Skagway. Return to your ship filled with memories and photographs from an unforgettable adventure.
Inclusions: Roundtrip transportation to Haines. Lunch.
Please note: Minimum of 2 passengers required to book. Child prices for ages 7-12.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Ferry to Haines: 45 minutes. Kayak Time: 1.5 hours.)
- Fast Ferry fare to and from Haines on public service Catamaran Ferry.
- A picnic style lunch: turkey sandwich on fresh baked bread, fruit, freshly baked cookie, and bottled water. Vegetarian and gluten free options are available with advance notice.
- Gear includes: Personal Floatation Device, Paddle, 2 person Easy Rider kayak.
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum age of 7 years old
- Maximum weight of 250lbs
Duration: 6.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 45 minutes fast ferry to Haines
- 45 minutes nature tour to Chilkoot State Park
- 15 minutes safety talk and equipment distribution
- 90 minutes kayaking on Chilkoot Lake
- 30 minutes lunch at picnic location
- 60 minutes scenic tour and transfer to fast ferry
- 45 minutes fast ferry to Skagway
- This tour meets on the cruise ship dock. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus and they need to be able to walk up and down gangways that vary depending on the tide. Additionally, guests need to be able to get in and out of double kayak cockpits independently from a dock (good balance required) and paddle for approximately 90 minutes on the lake. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. The ferry to and from Haines is NOT wheelchair accessible. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Is there a minimum number of guests?
Yes. There is a minimum of 2 guests and a maximum of 14 guests per departure.
What time does the tour run?
Our tours typically leave in the morning but vary due to the Fast Ferry schedule.
Is there a minimum age requirement?
Our kayaking and rafting tours have a Minimum age of 7. Our other tours do not have an age limit. If a child requires a car seat, please provide advance notice.
Is there a maximum weight limit or restrictions for rafting and kayaking?
Yes. The weight limit for the rafting and kayak trip is 250lbs. The kayaking tour requires that guests can paddle for 1.5 hours and get themselves comfortably in and out of a kayak. Our rafts do not have a back rest, so guests must be able to sit for 1.5 hours.
What kind of kayaks do you use?
We use 2-person Easy Rider fiberglass kayaks. They are very stable and perfect for kayaking on Chilkoot Lake.
Do you meet us at our ship?
Yes, a representative will meet the guests just past security.
Is this tour wheelchair accessible?
No. We do not have a wheelchair lift in any of our vehicles.
What should I wear while on tour?
We recommend that you dress in layers. It can be cold enough where you want a wool cap, gloves and a jacket, or it could be so warm you will be in a T-shirt with sunscreen and sunglasses. The weather can change quickly.
What size groups are on your tours?
Our maximum group size is 14. Our typical tour has around 6-8 guests at one time. We can charter large buses for large groups with advance notice.
What kinds of vehicles do you use?
Depending on the size of the group and the tour, we utilize everything from an SUV like the Toyota Sequoia or Sienna, to the 14-passenger Ford Econoline Van to the 14- passenger Airporter-style bus.
What are your lunches like? What if I have a special diet?
The tour includes a deli-style lunch. It consists of a turkey sandwich on fresh baked bread, fruit, freshly baked cookie, and bottled water. Vegetarian and gluten free options are available with advance notice.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!