There is no such thing as a "typical" Wild Coast Paddle & Cruise - your informative guide will help to design a route plan that suits your preferences as well as it fits the day's sea and weather conditions. Your adventure will either begin or end with an exciting one-hour cruise aboard our sturdy transport vessel. Use of the shuttle boat allows you to explore almost twice as much of the Sound in the same amount of time.
No matter what route we paddle, the scenery will be amazing. Sitka Sound is bordered by hundreds of untouched coves, inlets and narrow passages, each containing their own secrets waiting to be discovered. And the waters of the Sound are sprinkled with almost countless un-named islands and reefs. This is the perfect sea kayaking environment, and you're certain to explore some areas inaccessible by any other means. Few activities can match the experience of gliding silently across the canopy of a kelp forest - the clear waters revealing views of undersea gardens and marine life, while seals bask on the rocks and curious sea otters poke their little flat heads as high as possible out of the water to get a better look at you. There is also a very good chance of sighting stellar sea lions or humpback whales.
At the half-way point in our voyage, we'll step ashore on a seldom visited island to stretch our legs, do a little beach-combing, and enjoy a delicious picnic lunch. The total paddling time on our full-day exploration is approximately 5-hours, in which time we'll travel 6-8 miles, depending on your preferences. Included: Kayaks, paddle gear, snack, bottled water.
Please note: You need a minimum of 2 passengers to book this excursion. Although it's not a strenuous activity, we recommend the full-day paddle only for those who are in good physical condition and at least 12 years of age. Minimum weight is 40 pounds and maximum weight is 275 pounds with a maximum height of 6 feet 6 inches.
Duration: 8 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Paddle Time: 5-6 hours.)
- Waterproof outerwear, paddle gear, and dry bags for cameras
- Beach picnic lunch, light snacks, and bottled water
- Layered clothing, comfortable shoes and a warm hat
- Sunglasses, camera, binoculars, gloves and rain gear
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum weight: 40lbs
- Maximum weight: 275lbs
- Minimum age: 12 years old
- Maximum height: 6 feet 6 inches
- Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak.
Duration: 7.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20-30 minutes safety orientation, equipment orientation and instruction
- 1 hour scenic boat transfer
- 5-6 hours kayaking tour (6-8 miles)
- This tour meets within the Crescent Harbor parking lot. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests need to be able to get in and out of double kayak cockpits independently (good balance required) and paddle for approximately 5-6 hours. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Do we need prior kayaking experience?
Previous paddle experience is recommended.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Will my tour be cancelled if it's raining?
Fortunately, rain doesn't diminish the fun or safety of sea kayaking. We will outfit you with fully-rainproof gear if it looks certain to be a wet day.
Is it possible that I will tip over and do I have to know how to swim?
It is possible to tip over, however it's a very rare occurrence. Our professional guides will provide good instruction on the basic paddling and bracing techniques, and you'll find out for yourself that the double kayaks are far more stable than you might imagine. You don't need to know how to swim. You'll be wearing a PFD (life vest) at all times while in the kayak.
Can I bring a backpack?
All bags must be stored prior to kayaking and are not allowed while on tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Lunch, snacks, and bottled water are included.
Are there any age restrictions?
There is a minimum age of 12 years old to participate. Additionally, guests taller than 6 feet 6 inches or wieghing over 275lbs cannot be accomodated.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak. Please inform the guides about any other physical limitations.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing that will fit underneath a waterproof paddle jacket and sneakers or waterproof boots. Sunglasses and gloves are are also recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!