Your tour begins when the guide picks you up from your cruise ship terminal, or hotel. Once you arrive at the trailhead, you will be equipped with all the equipment and knowledge you will need to begin your hike.
Enjoy being one with the rugged Alaskan wildlife as you hike to the glacier's edge, where the adventure really begins! You'll spend 4 hours exploring all of what Exit Glacier has to offer. Some things you can expect to see are large glacier crevasses, blue ice, and crackling ice. Stop for a lunch break on the glacier, before hiking back to the trailhead. Please note: This tour is available with pick up in Seward from local hotels. Please indicate where you will be staying at check out. For guests arriving by cruise ship or train, finalized meeting instructions will indicate the meeting location.
If you chose to be collected from Seward then be prepared to begin bright and early: please be ready to be picked up from your cruise ship terminal, or selected pick-up point 15 minutes before your scheduled pick up time.
Minimum of 2 passengers required to book.
Duration: 8 hours (Roundtrip from the tour operator's office in Seward.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- If requested, pick up at Seward cruise dock, train station, or local hotel
- Professional and knowledgable mountaineering guide
- Glacier equipment: crampons, harness, helmet, trekking poles, backpack
- Lunch: deli wraps, granola bar, piece of fruit
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum age is 10 years old
- Participants should be in good physical condition (able to hike over steep, uneven terrain for 4-5+ miles)
- Not recommended for guests with back problems or heart conditions
Duration: 8 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes - (if requiring pick up) transport to operator's office
- 30 minutes - equipment and safety briefing
- ~ 1.5-2 hours - hike to the glacier's edge
- ~ 2-3 hours - hiking and exploring the glacier and lunch break
- ~ 1.5-2 hours - hike back to the trailhead
- 15~30 minutes - transport to operator's office and requested drop off location
- This tour meets at the operator's office in Seward. Pick up at your hotel, the cruise terminal, or the railroad depot can be arranged upon request. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Is this tour suitable for young children?
You must be at least 10 years of age to participate in this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour. If you elect to use your own backpack, it needs to be big enough to hold the helmet, harnass, crampons, etc. and have a waist strap.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Aug 2021 - Emily F.
This hike was the highlight of our entire trip! It was definitely challenging, but exciting! The Kenai Backcountry Adventures guides were friendly, patient, knowledgeable and helpful.
Aug 2020 - Oleksandr Z.
Thanks to Robin. She did wonderful job. That's was really great hike to the glacier! Hope I will come back one time☺️
Sep 2019 - Nina Areli M.
We had the most amazing experience on this tour! Our guide, Todd made us feel safe all the time and was very patient. The views and the feeling on the ice totally worth it. I absolutely recommend this tour.