**THIS TOUR IS NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2022 SEASON**
Soar through the air with the Denali Glacier Landing and Air Tour! Our professional staff will take you on the only scenic flight offered from the Denali National Park entrance area and let you land on the world's deepest gorge, the Great Gorge of the Ruth Glacier.
Our tour departs from the Healy River Airport and takes you soaring over 80 miles of the beautiful, untouched scenery of the Denali National Park. 100 minutes of ample flight time allows you to view incredible sights like the Polychrome Mountains, glacial erratics, diverse glaciers, including the infamous Muldrow and Ruth Glaciers and of course, the beautiful Mt. Denali itself.
From the air, you will be able to see the rocky cliffs of the Moose's Tooth and Mt. Dickey. Enjoy the impressive views before making your final approach over deep crevasses into the Ruth Amphitheater.
After a breathtaking airplane flight, you'll have a 20-30 minute stay about 11 miles away from the base of Mt. Denali, North America's highest peak. Here you can enjoy views of the infamous Don Sheldon Mountain House, breathe in some fresh alpine air, or start a friendly snowball fight with your family members or fellow passengers!
Your tour wraps up with an exciting departure out of the Ruth Amphitheater. On the way back to the airport, you'll have one last chance to glimpse the majesty of the park that you can only witness by airplane. Please note: Children must be 9 years old or younger and under 100lbs. National Parks Service requires that all passengers landing on the glacier must have a National Park Pass ($15 per person). Closed-toe shoes and long layers are recommended. Dress appropriately for the weather.
Duration: 2-2.25 hours (Flight time: 100 minutes. Glacier time: 20-30 minutes)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Gore-Tex glacier overboots
- Denali National Park Pass ($15 per person) - Available for purchase day-of from the tour operator
- Guests must be comfortable walking short distances on uneven and occasionally icy surfaces
- No backpacks, purses or bags of any kind are allowed in the aircraft
- Long layers and closed-toe shoes are highly recommended
- Camera, sunglasses, and sunscreen (if you have sensitive skin) are recommended
Duration: 2.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 50 minutes - flightseeing to the glacier
- 20~30 minutes - ice exploration on the glacier
- 50 minutes - flightseeing back to base
- This tour meets at several locations. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps in and out of the bus and airplane. We have staff who will assist in boarding the aircraft, but ultimately it is the guests' responsibility. There is no storage available for a motorized scooter.
What is the best time to take my tour?
Predicting the weather in the interior of Alaska is nearly impossible, especially far in advance. The best time to book your tour is whatever time works best for you!
Where can I get the National Park Pass?
You can purchase the National Park Pass at the airplane base in the beginning of the tour.
How many passengers ride in the plane together?
There are 3 different glacier landing planes we use for this tour: 2 Turbine Beavers can fit 8-9 passengers, Wood River Cherokee can fit 5 passengers, and Cessna 185 can fit 3-4 passengers. If there are more than 9 passengers, multiple planes will fly at the same time for the tour to accommodate the additional guests.
Do you allow lap children?
No, this tour does not allow lap children.
What is the temperature on the glacier?
The average temperature is between 15-20°F cooler than on the ground.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We recommend wearing long layers and close-toed shoes. Heavy coats and snow boots aren't typically necessary, but dress to your discretion.
What if the weather is bad?
If the weather is going to affect the quality of tour, we will cancel the departure. If you are not able to reschedule, you will receive a full refund.
Will I see wildlife?
Wildlife is abundant and sightings are possible, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Can I bring a backpack?
You may choose to leave your personal items in your hotel or safely store them at our facilities. No bags are allowed on the airplanes.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drink are provided while on tour.
I am pregnant. Can I still fly?
You should discuss this with your doctor prior to your trip.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!