The Anchorage Winter Dog Sledding Tour is an incredible opportunity to learn about Alaska's beloved state sport. Your journey will start with stress-free transportation from Anchorage to Talkeetna, as your expert local guide drives past stunning scenic vistas. Weather permitting, you'll even be able to see Denali, the tallest peak in North America.
You'll arrive in Talkeetna at the homestead of Dallas Seavey, a five-time Iditarod Champion, top three finisher in Norway's 2018 Finnmarkslopet, youngest Yukon Quest first place Champion, and former star of National Geographic Channel's Ultimate Survival Alaska. There's no better location to learn about the musher lifestyle and lingo while you bond with your team of pups.
Groups of two guests will share sleds for the mushing portion of this tour. You and your team of Alaskan Huskies will travel 10 km/6 miles through our private, birch-lined trails. Enjoy the complete winter silence, aside from the dogs' excited barks and pounding paws. Teams will stop to alternate mushing positions halfway through so everyone gets to experience both "lead" and "tail" mushing. You'll also have the perfect photo opportunity with the huskies as they bask in the sun, before finishing your ride and crossing the burled arch Finish Line.
Duration: 9 hours (Roundtrip from downtown Anchorage)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Lunch at a local eatery
- Snacks and water
- Hotel pick-up on request
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Appropriate clothing for the weather (see FAQ for further details)
Duration: 9 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 2-3 hours - Transportation from Anchorage to Talkeetna
- 3 hours - Time spent mushing and learning at the kennel
- 2-3 hours - Transportation from Talkeetna to Anchorage
- This tour meets at the tour operator's office in downtown Anchorage. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers. If you are interested in traveling just one way between Anchorage and Talkeetna, please leave a booking comment at checkout.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- [Need to ask op] This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Are there any age restrictions?
The minimum age is 8 years old.
What should I wear?
Guests need to adequately prepare for being outside in the snow. Please bring the following: snow pants, snow boots, mittens/gloves, a fleece or wool midlayer, a winter coat, and sunglasses.
Are gratuities included?
Gratuities are not included. The suggested gratuity for our tour guides is 10 USD per guide.
Does everyone get to drive the sled?
Yes! You'll mush in teams of two, and you'll switch positions so everyone gets the opportunity to experience leading the sled. You do not have to drive the sled if you don't want to.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!