**THIS TOUR IS NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2021 SEASON**
Get up close and personal to the icebergs on this mellow float perfect for all ages. Our experienced and professional guides will row you right up to beautiful picturesque icebergs offering stunning panoramic views of Spencer Glacier and surrounding mountains. This trip is one of the most scenic glacier river trips in Alaska!
You'll be within arms reach of icebergs which are massively broken or melted off pieces of the Spencer Glacier. This float trip allows you to take in the beautiful scenery that surrounds the lake with several amazing photo opportunities from the raft.
Placer River is Class I & II rapids which is a mellow braided river with no big rapids. Pack your cameras and gear up for your adventure to Spencer Lake.
Duration: 9 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from Anchorage
- Gear/equipment: Provides rain jacket, rain pants, life vest, rain boots, and rubber boots (if needed)
- Guests must be able to climb in and out of the raft/river to the riverbank
- Guests must be at least 2 years old. Children must be able to wear a life-vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft.
Duration: 9 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 9:45 AM - Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage
- 11:00 AM - Train arrives/departs Girdwood
- 12:15 PM - Train arrives/departs in Whittier
- 1:15 PM - Train arrives/departs Portage (2nd stop)
- 1:55 PM - Disembark the train at Spencer Whistle Stop
- 2 PM~4:45 PM - Spencer Iceberg & Placer River Float (2 hours on the water)
- 5 PM~5:15 PM - Return via train to Portage Station
- 5:30 PM - Board motorcoach back to Anchorage
- 6:45 PM - Motorcoach arrives in Anchorage
- This tour meets at the Anchorage Train Station. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is equipped with a lift on the rail. Guests must be able to climb stairs in the river or be transported in their wheelchair from the raft to the river bank at the end of the trip. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations will need to be arranged prior to the tour date.
Are there restrooms on this tour?
Yes. There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river.
Are there any age requirements for this tour?
Yes. Guests must be at least 2 years old. Children must be able to wear a life-vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft.
Can we bring our cameras on this tour?
Cameras are allowed but we can't guarantee that they won't get wet.
How many people are allowed per departure?
This is a very popular trip that during the peak season can have 40-60+ guests.
How many people fit on one raft?
Maximum guest capacity is 10 per raft. Guest to guide ratio is 9:1.
What should I wear?
We suggest bringing rain jacket, warm clothes & layers, warm socks, a hat, & gloves.
Will there be any food provided on this tour?
There's no food provided on the tour but there is a small cafe on the Glacier Discovery Train with limited menu items (such sandwiches, pizza, wraps). The cafe is cashless and requires a credit or debit card to purchase.
What kind of rapids will we experience and will we get wet on the raft?
Placer River is Class I & II rapids which is a mellow braided river with no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you're concerned about getting splashed, just request a "not splashy spot" in the raft with your guide.
Can I request a private raft for my party?
Yes. Let us know if you would like to reserve a private raft for an additional cost.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!