Take a 20-minute flight over the Knik Glacier and land at your hiking location. There are numerous high alpine locations and glacier landing sites suited for your incredible experience. Most of the locations have a view of at least one glacier, sometimes you can see two or three! Based on the weather and glacier conditions, interests, and your hiking preference (leisurely hike vs. a steep scramble), your guide will suggest the best route. If you prefer, you can also land on top of a glacier and hike down to check out amazing glacier features.
Once you arrive at the starting point, your guide will help you get out of the helicopter which will return back to the lodge until your return flight. This tour is absolutely customizable. Simply let your guide know how you want to spend your 4 hours in nature. You can stop, relax, take pictures, or run up the ridge to see what is in the back at any time you want. The group size is typically 2 to 4 guests, and it will never be more than 6 guests per guide. If you have more than 6 people in your party, we can divide them into smaller groups with multiple guides.
If you are bringing tripods, multiple camera bodies, and big lenses for photographing, you can stay close to the landing zone and keep your gear nearby. Your guide is happy to wait with you for the perfect time for the best scenery and wildlife photo opportunities.
Duration: 5 hours
- Experienced and knowledgeable Guide
- Small guided group ratios
- Tracking and Navigation devices
- Bear Spray
- Picnic-style lunch and trail snacks
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Recommended age: 7+ years old (Smaller children are welcome if parents are in control at all times)
- Maximum weight: 290lbs
- Signed liability waiver (You can sign this on-site during the safety briefing)
- Appropriate clothing per weather (Ex. Layered clothing with wind & waterproof outer layer, sturdy hiking boots, light hat and gloves, sunglasses)
Duration: 5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 10 minutes - preflight safety briefing and preparation
- 20 minutes - scenic helicopter flightseeing over the Knik Glacier
- 4+ hours - wilderness/glacier hiking
- 20 minutes - reboard helicopter and flight back to the heliport
- 10 minutes - arrive at heliport and de-gear
- This tour meets at the Knik River Lodge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What is the seating arrangement in the helicopter?
The pilot balances the helicopter based on the weight and number of passengers. We cannot make any promises for specific seat because safety cannot be compromised. If you have a preference ask the pilot and when it is safe the pilot will try to accommodate you.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. Typically we see moose, dall sheep, mountain goats and sometimes bears depending on the time of year. However, this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
The recommended minimum age is 7 years old. Smaller children are welcome if parents are in control at all times.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
You can bring your own preferred snacks. Alcohol is not allowed on this tour.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Alaska has extreme weather conditions and it can change often. We recommend wearing layers, a weatherproof outer coat, sturdy hiking boots, hat, gloves, and sunglasses (as it gets very bright on the snow covered glacier) for cold wind and possible rain.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!