Drive your own dog team on real snow in the middle of the summer!
Start this adventure with a spectacular helicopter ride over glaciers and icebergs. We often see moose, black bears, Dall sheep and mountain goats. Next, land on a snow field high on the Troublesome glacier and enjoy an hour with Iditarod sled dogs and their mushers. Take the dog team for an exhilarating dogsled tour through real snow. You can even stand on the runners and mush your own dog team if you like. Includes meet and greet with the dogs.
The length of this tour makes it perfect for the whole family and we often see three generation having fun together. After your dogsled tour meet the canine athletes that pulled your sled, listen to stories about running sled dog races of over a 1,000 miles long, meet the puppies and of course take pictures with your favorite dogs.
We provide overboots so your shoes stay dry, and we have some extra jackets and warm gear you can borrow if needed.
Please note: This tour option includes roundtrip transportation from the following locations:
- Lakefront Hotel
- Hyatt House
- Quality Suites
- Clarion Suites
- Ship Creek Comfort Inn
- Hilton (downtown Anchorage)
- Captain Cook
- Marriott (downtown Anchorage)
- Log Cabin Visitor Center
Detailed meeting times will be on your ticket vouchers.
Duration: 3.5+ hours (Roundtrip transportation: 2+ hours. Flight time: 30 minutes. Dogsled ride: 30 minutes.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Traction overboots
- Waterproof clothing if needed
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Signed liability waiver (You can sign this on site during the safety briefing)
- Appropriate clothing per weather
- Passenger names and weights are required by the FAA for passenger safety and comfort, as well as weight and balance calculations for flight manifesting. Any passenger whose weight is 250 pounds (113 kilograms) or more fully clothed at the time of departure will have a surcharge fee added to the ticket price at the time of booking.
Duration: 3.5+ hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 2+ hours of roundtrip transportation
- 30 minutes roundtrip helicopter flightseeing
- 30 minutes interaction with Mushers and Dogsled dogs
- 30 minutes glacier dogsled ride
- This tour meets at the Knik River Lodge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. We accommodate all mobility challanged scenarios. We have staff that will assist getting in and out of the helicopter as well as in and out of the dogsled. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
What glacier is this tour on?
This tour goes to the Troublesome Glacier.
Can I pet and play with the sled dogs?
Yes, the dogs love human interaction and the musher's will let you get close and snuggly with their team.
What is the seating arrangement in the helicopter?
The pilot balances the helicopter based on the weight and number of passengers. We cannot make any promises for specific seat because safety cannot be compromised. If you have a preference ask the pilot and when it is safe the pilot will try to accommodate you.
What is the temperature on the glacier?
The average temperature is between 15-20°F cooler than on the ground.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. Typically we see moose, dall sheep, mountain goats and sometimes bears depending on the time of year. However, this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We reccomend wearing layers, a weatherproof outer coat, sturdy shoes (we will provide overboots to keep your shoes dry) and sunglasses as it gets blindingly bright on the snow covered glacier.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Jun 2019 - Denenne B.
From the time we were picked up at the hotel we were impressed. The trip out was informative once we got to Knik resort all the team were extremely friendly. The flight up to Troublesome Glacier was exciting. Meeting the mushers and the dogs was an experience we will never forget. All this was topped of by our ride with the iditarod team . So glad our original trip was cancelled on our cruise. A once in a lifetime experience. Thank you to all involved from the Alaska shore excursions to our driver and everyone in between Thank you.