Whittier Spencer Glacier Float
One of Alaska's most scenic glacier river trips
Our full-day adventure begins with a scenic train journey from Whittier to Spencer Whistle Stop. The Spencer Glacier area is only accessible via train and visitors are encouraged to explore the remote area. On this tour, you'll disembark and take off on a relaxing 7-mile float trip towards the Spencer Glacier Lake area.
Along the float, you will have chances to see the glacial landscapes with panoramic views of the mountains as you float the Placer River. Guests can expect to experience one of the best scenic glacier river trips that Alaska has to offer and may even get a chance to get close enough to touch the icebergs!
- Transportation via the Glacier Discovery Train from Whittier to Spencer Glacier & back
- Snack, Water & Hot Drink
- Gear/equipment: Provides rain jacket, life vest, rain boots, and rubber boots (if needed)
- Minimum of 2 participants required to book
- Guests must be able to climb in and out of the raft/river to the riverbank
- Children must be able to wear a life vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft
- Infants under 2 are allowed but not guaranteed to be approved. It will depend on the number of rafts available on the date requested
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from the Whittier Train Depot.)
- 12:15 PM - Meet at Whittier Train Depot
- 12:45 PM - Train departs Whittier
- 1:25 PM - Train stops briefly at Portage Station and departs again
- 1:55 PM - Train arrives at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
- 2:00 - 4:45 PM - Rafting tour
- 5:00 PM - Reboard the train at Placer River
- 5:15 PM - Return briefly to Portage Station
- 6:05 PM - Return to Whittier Train Depot
- This tour meets at the Whittier Tent / Whittier Train Station. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is wheelchair accessible. There are no ADA wheelchair lifts but can facilitate a rafting tour for guests in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. There is a wheelchair lift off of the train. If assistance is needed, please leave a comment during checkout.
Moose, black bears, snow show hares, bald eagles, and beluga whales are among some of the wildlife you may see on this tour, however it is not a designated wildlife tour and specific wildlife cannot be guaranteed.
If you have a request to be with a friend, please let us know on the train. Max capacity is 9 adults in each raft. Most often we have 7 to 8 guests per raft. Please let us know if you want a private raft for your family, there will be an additional cost for a private raft.
Placer River Float is a Class I to II (With High Water), mellow braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide.
A snack, water & hot drink are included. There is a Small Cafe on the Glacier Discovery Train with limited menu options including sandwiches, wraps, and pizza for guests that need lunch. The Cafe is cashless and requires a credit or debit card.
There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river, backcountry options only.
We offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
All tours that cancel because of weather will be fully refunded with no fees or penalties.
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
On Aug 2019
Fun for family. Guides were friendly and knowledgeable.
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 6.5 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
"Best Price Guarantee" means we offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because
we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many
excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Duration: 6.5 hours
Adult (12+): $238.00
Child (2-11): $119.00
Lap Child (Under 2): $0.00