Our half-day paddle & cruise adventure is the perfect introduction to the wild side of Sitka Sound, beginning with a fun and informative kayak skills & safety orientation. The guide will explain the variables to be considered in designing the day's unique float plan, and, once afloat, you'll have some time to dabble about in the crystal clear shallows, getting comfortable with your craft, before we set out to explore our first group of islands.
While paddling through mazes of reef and kelp forest - areas accessible only by kayak - your interpreter/guide will help identify the colorful marine life visible below, including: crab, sea stars, anemones, sea urchins, jelly fish and more. At the surface, in addition to the star of the show - the ever amusing sea otter - we also frequently sight harbor seals, sea lions, porpoise, bald eagles, and a variety of marine birds.
We'll step ashore on a seldom-visited island to stretch our legs, do a little beach-combing, and enjoy a hearty snack while soaking in the majestic wildness and amazing views of the Sound. Our guide will explain some of the ecology of the area, and also tell you about the Tlingit people, who still harvest the ocean's bounty using knowledge passed down since the last ice age. This half-day wilderness exploration concludes with an exciting 30-minute boat cruise to Sitka.
Please note: You need a minimum of 2 adults to book this excursion. This adventure is also conducted in reverse order, with the cruise outbound, followed by a paddle return to Sitka. Minimum age to participate in this tour is 6 years old, minimum weight is 40 pounds and maximum weight is 275 pounds with a maximum height of 6 feet 6 inches. Maximum of 6 passengers.
This adventure is also conducted in reverse order, with the cruise outbound,
followed by a paddle return to Sitka.
Duration: 4.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Paddle Time: 3-3.5 hours.)
- Waterproof outerwear, paddle gear, and dry bags for cameras
- Light snacks, and bottled water
- Layered clothing, comfortable shoes, and a warm hat
- Sunglasses, camera, binoculars, gloves and rain gear
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum weight: 40lbs
- Maximum weight: 275lbs
- Minimum age: 6 years old
- Maximum height: 6 feet 6 inches
- Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak
Duration: 4.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20-30 minutes safety orientation, equipment orientation, and instruction
- 2.5 hours kayaking tour
- 45 minutes on a remote island beach, with lunch prepared by guide
- 30 minutes boat ride to Sitka
- This tour meets in the Crescent Harbor parking garage. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests need to be able to get in and out of double kayak cockpits independently (good balance required) and paddle for approximately 2-3 hours. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Do we need prior kayaking experience?
No experience is necessary to participate on this tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Can I bring a backpack?
All bags must be stored prior to kayaking and are not allowed while on tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Light snacks and bottled water are included.
Are there any age restrictions?
There is a minimum age of 6 years old to participate. Additionally, guests taller than 6 feet 6 inches or wieghing over 275lbs cannot be accomodated.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak. Please inform the guides about any other physical limitations.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing that will fit underneath a waterproof paddle jacket and sneakers or waterproof boots. Sunglasses and gloves are are also recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!