You won't want to miss this excursion through the Alaskan wilderness, which includes a scenic jet boat ride and a fascinating nature walk through a historical Dena'ina encampment.
Your journey begins with a 20-mile tour down the majestic Susitna River in a comfortable, high-tech jet boat. These boats are designed to safely navigate waters that were previously inaccessible, so this is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Then the boat docks near our Adventure site, where you'll take a leisurely 1/4-mile nature walk to a Dena'ina camp. Here you can see and learn about cultural artifacts that were used by Alaska's first peoples.
You'll also visit a turn-of-the-century fur trapper's cabin with its original, authentic furnishings. Your local guide will display various furs from the area and demonstrate historical trapping methods.
Guests also have the opportunity to learn about the many wildflowers and other plants that grow in abundance along the Susitna. Naturalists will explain how Indigenous people utilized these plants for cooking and medicine, and how some are still consumed today.
Come see all that the Denali area has to offer! Please note:
Everyone taking the tour needs to be counted, including infants. For all children under 2, please select an Infant
ticket for 0 USD. For all children aged 2-12, please select a paid Child
ticket. Everyone over 12 is considered an adult.
Duration: 2 hours
- Roundtrip jet boat ride
- Narration from your expert guide
- Cultural tour and nature walk at a Dena'ina encampment
- Pick-up may be requested from the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge or the Susitna River Lodge. Further details are provided on your ticket voucher.
- Guests of all ages are welcome! Infants (under 2) are free, but must be counted as people onboard. Please book a infant seat for all children under 2.
- Must be comfortable getting on and off the boat.
- We recommend being comfortable walking 1/4 mile, but guests can wait in the boat during the nature trail walk if needed.
Duration: 2 hours. Tour times:
- 30 mins prior to tour - check in at operator's office
- 2 hours - roundtrip boat ride and camp tour
- This tour meets at the operator's office in Talkeetna. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to walk to the boat. There is no space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. Guests may stay on the boat during the trail walk if needed. Please contact us with any further questions about accessibility.
Will we see wildlife?
You have a good chance of seeing wildlife anywhere in Alaska, but this is not a designated wildlife tour and it cannot be guaranteed.
What should I wear/bring? Can I have a bag?
Please dress appropriately for the weather. We recommend wearing sturdy walking shoes, light layers, and a rain jacket. You're welcome to bring a bag/purse/etc. We suggest bringing along your camera, binoculars, and snacks/water if you'd like.
How fast does the boat go?
The boat goes roughly 35 miles per hour.
Will I get wet?
The boat cabins are fully enclosed, so you're fairly protected from the elements. It certainly could rain and we recommend being prepared for that possibility by bringing along waterproof outer layers. At the camp, we have umbrellas that can be used if needed.
WIll you pick me up at my hotel/Airbnb?
This tour meets at the operator's office in Talkeetna. Pick-up may be requested, only from the of the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge or the Susitna River Lodge. Further information is provided at on your ticket voucher.
Are there bathrooms?
There are outhouses available at the dock and at the encampment.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!