This day trip is a wonderful opportunity for travelers to explore Talkeetna at their convenience. You'll begin with an incredible scenic drive, accompanied by narration from your expert driver and tour guide. Upon arrival in Talkeetna, you'll be able to handpick which attractions you'd like to see.
The town is very walkable. Take a stroll down Main Street and enjoy quirky gift shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and a local microbrewery. Head over to the Talkeetna Historical Society to explore their fascinating museum exhibits. You'll learn about Native history in the area, the Gold Rush, fur trapping, and many more important aspects of Alaskan culture.
Then you can make your way over to Talkeetna Riverfront Park for incredible views of the glacier-fed Talkeetna River. Water sports such as river rafting, kayaking, and fishing are popular here. At the park you'll also find self-guided walking trails for guests of various activity and mobility levels.
Visitors can also head to the National Parks Service's Walter Harper Talkeetna Ranger Station, located right downtown. Here you'll find information about the area, historical exhibits, and opportunities to purchase local souvenirs. Pro tip: you'll also find WiFi and a public restroom!
Duration: 9.5 hours (Roundtrip from downtown Anchorage.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Lunch at a local eatery
- Snacks and water
- Hotel pick-up on request
- Minimum age of 8
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Appropriate clothing for the weather (see FAQ for further details)
Duration: 9 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 2-3 hours - Transportation from Anchorage to Talkeetna
- 3-4 hours - Free time in Talkeetna
- 2-3 hours - Transportation from Talkeetna to Anchorage
- This tour meets at the tour operator's office in downtown Anchorage. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers. If you are interested in traveling just one way between Anchorage and Talkeetna, please leave a booking comment at checkout.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. Guests must be able to get in and out of a sprinter van without assistance, as guides are unable to help with this. Wheelchairs must be foldable in order to fit in the van. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Are there any age restrictions?
The minimum age is 8 years old.
Is food included?
A complimentary lunch at a local eatery is included, as well as snacks and water. Additionally, Talkeetna has many local restaurants that guests are encouraged to check out!
What should I wear?
Guests need to adequately prepare for being outside, potentially in the rain. We highly recommend you bring the following: closed-toe shoes, a fleece, a rain jacket & rain pants, and optionally we would suggest light gloves and a hat. If you plan to do any outdoor activities in Talkeetna, please plan accordingly with appropriate gear such as hiking shoes.
Are gratuities included?
Gratuities are not included. The suggested gratuity for our tour guides is 10 USD per guide.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!