We'll head north from Anchorage along the Knik Arm, a beautiful waterway that branches from the Gulf of Alaska. As the tour vehicle ascends the Talkeetna Mountains, guests will be treated with alpine views including the incredible Hatcher Pass.
Then you'll arrive at Independence Mine State Historical Park to enjoy a gold panning demonstration at the creek, and even try it out for yourself! Following our time at the creek, enjoy a guided hike along the Mill Loop Trail.
The Mill Loop trail is an easy 1-mile trail with 177ft of elevation gain. Already at 3500ft in elevation in the Talkeetna Mountains, the views are incredible! This short trail is family friendly and will provide an introduction to the flora and fauna of the tundra. Common wildlife sightings include arctic ground squirrels and marmots - if you don't see them, you will hear them whistle at you!
Duration: 5.5 hours
- Admission to Independence Mine State Historical Park Tour
- Guided interpretive walk along the Mill Loop Trail
- Time to visit the Gift Shop
- Gold Panning Demo & time at the creek (pan rental included)
- Complimentary snack and water
- Hotel pick-up on request
Duration: 5.25 ~ 5.75 hours
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- This tour meets at the tour operator's office in downtown Anchorage. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- Guests must be comfortable hiking 1.2 miles on uneven terrain with 200 feet of elevation (equivalent to about 20 flights of stars). Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Complimentary snacks and bottled water are provided on this excursion.
Are gratuities included?
Gratuities are not included. The suggested gratuity for our tour guides is 10 USD per guide.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2018 - Gail P.
Our Tour Guide was excellent - Rebecca - however the weather was very rainy and made the Musk Ox Farm very wet & muddy. Then by the time we got to the Mining Town - the gate was closed for the day. So we didn't get to see that part of the tour.