**THIS TOUR IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE 2023 SEASON**
Paddle up to Spencer Glacier via raft/kayak and venture out onto the glacier ice for a Glacier Trek exploring moulins, blue pools, crevasses, and more. This is an awesome full-day adventure tour that will incorporate a Spencer Glacier Lake exploration with an amazing glacier trek on the Glacier using ice crampons.
This tour is great for all ages and will immerse you in the breathtaking scenery on your way to the Spencer Glacier. You'll get up close and personal with icebergs that have melted off the glacier. You'll get to experience walking on a glacier as your guide points out amazing features for you to explore. Pack your camera and gear up for the adventure of a lifetime.
Access to Spencer Glacier is always changing. We will explore as much of the glacier as possible and take you onto the ice as access allows.
Duration: 12 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Catered snack lunch (sandwich, fruit, dessert, & bottled water)
- Crampons, splash tops, life vest, rain ponchos if needed
- Guide to Guest Ratio is 1:4
- Guests must be comfortable walking on uneven or occasionally icy surfaces
- Guests must sign a release of liability waiver for all rafting, canoeing, & kayaking glacier tours
- Age requirement: 10 years
- Maximum weight: 240lbs
- Maximum height: 6'3"
- Guests with large foot sizes and guests who don't like to sit for up to 1 hour in a touring (sit-inside) kayak may have difficulty fitting and/or being comfortable in kayaks.
- Minimum of 4 required to book
Recommended gear list for each guest:
- Good hiking boots with ankle support or Good High-Quality Trail Running Shoes (This is REQUIRED for Strap-on Black Diamond Contact Crampons). Tennis shoes are not recommended.
- Thin insulating base layer next to the skin
- Puffy mid-layer jacket or fleece
- Hardshell waterproof outer layer jacket and pants
- Small personal backpack 30L or less
- Personal water bottle
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- A Baseball cap or visor will fit under your helmet
- A warm hat without any attachment on top will fit under your helmet
- Warm gloves
Duration: 12 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 6:45 AM - Coastal Classic Train departs Anchorage
- 9:00 AM - arrive at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
- 9:30 AM ~ 10:30 AM - Kayak on Spencer Lake to the glacier
- 10:30 AM ~ 1:00 PM - Glacier trek onto the ice at Spencer Glacier
- 1:00 PM ~ 4:30 PM - Depending on your group, the guide will take requests with discretion for more time on the glacier or a 7-mile scenic river rafting float down Placer River
- 5:15 PM - Arrive in Portage and board motorcoach back to Anchorage
- 6:45 PM - Arrival in Anchorage
- This tour meets in front of the Anchorage Train Depot. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not ADA accessible. This trip is limited mobility accessible and will be tailored to your party. Please notify us ahead of time so we can plan for your trip.
Are there restrooms on this tour?
Yes. There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we're on the glacier.
Are there any age requirements for this tour?
Yes. Guests must be at least 10 years old. Children must be able to fit into a life-vest. Guests not comfortable with paddling kayaks can go in a raft that is powered by a guide rowing.
Can we bring our cameras on this tour?
Cameras are allowed but we can't guarantee that they won't get wet.
How many people are allowed per departure?
There are a total of 10 guests per routing with a max guide to guest ratio of 1:4.
How many people fit on the kayak?
Our kayaks fit 2 guests. Guest to guide ratio is 1:4. A minimum of 4 guests is required to book this tour. Solo travelers and 2~3 guests groups, please contact us to see if space is available.
What should I wear?
We suggest bringing rain jacket, warm clothes & layers, warm socks, a hat, & gloves.
Will there be any food provided on this tour?
A catered sack lunch will be provided including a sandwich, fruit, dessert, and bottled water. Vegetarian or other dietary restrictions are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
What kind of rapids will we experience and will we get wet on the raft?
Placer River is Class I & II rapids which is a mellow braided river with no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you're concerned about getting splashed, just request a "not splashy spot" in the raft with your guide.
Can I request a private tour for my party?
Yes. Let us know if you would like to reserve a private tour for an additional cost.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Jan 2022 - Robert C.
My Dad and I had a fun and exciting excursion full of exercise, education and awe! Rhue was an excellent guide and took great care of us!
Sep 2021 - Julio L.
We had an awesome time on this tour. Our guides Kyle and Rhue were the best ever and made the whole experience so much more enjoyable. They boarded the train on Portage and started to explain things about the area and the fauna, they pointed out eagle's nests and fun tips. Once in the glacier, they brought lunch and hot cocoa for us, provided us with crampons, and took pictures of us. All you really need to do is enjoy and all you need to bring is warm clothing. I cannot recommend this enough!!