Paddle up to Spencer Glacier via raft/kayak and venture out onto the glacier ice for a Glacier Trek exploring moulins, blue pools, crevasses and more. This is an awesome full day adventure tour that will incorporate a Spencer Glacier Lake exploration with an amazing glacier trek on the Glacier using ice crampons.
This tour is great for all ages and will emerse you in the breathtaking scenery on your way to the Spencer Glacier. You'll get up close and personal with icebergs that have melted off the glacier. You'll get to experience walking on a glacier as your guide points out amazing features for you to explore. Pack your camera and gear up for the adventure of a lifetime.
Access onto Spencer Glacier is always changing. We will explore as much of the glacier as possible and take you onto the ice as access allows. PLEASE NOTE - THIS TOUR OPERATES SUNDAY - THURSDAY ONLY.
Duration: 12 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Catered snack lunch (sandwich, fruit, desert, & bottled water)
- Crampons, splash tops, life vest, rain ponchos if needed
- Guests must be comfortable walking on uneven or occasionally icy sufaces
- Guests must sign a release of liability waiver for all rafting, canoeing, & kayaking glacier tours
- Guest must be at least 2 years old. Child must be able to wear a life-vest and handle the glacier exploration portion of the tour (2 miles one way to glacier. It can take between 20 minutes with perfect weather to 1 hour+ plus to paddle across the lake).
- Maximum weight is 240lbs
- Maximum height is 6'5"
Duration: 12 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 6:45 AM - Coastal Classic Train departs Anchorage
- 9:00 AM - arrive at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
- 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM - Kayak on Spencer Lake to the glacier
- 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM - Glacier trek onto the ice at Spencer Glacier
- 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM - Depending on your group, the guide will take requests with discretion for more time on the glacier or a 7 mile scenic river rafting float down Placer River
- 5:15 PM - Arrive in Portage and board motorcoach back to Anchorage
- 6:45 PM - Arrival to Anchorage
- This tour meets in front of the Anchorage Train Depot. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not ADA accessible. This trip is limited mobility accessible and will be tailored to your party. Please notify us ahead of time so we can plan for your trip.
Are there restrooms on this tour?
Yes. There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we're on the glacier.
Are there any age requirements for this tour?
Yes. Guests must be at least 2 years old. Children must be able to fit into a life-vest. Guests not comfortable with paddling kayaks can go in a raft that is powered by a guide rowing.
Can we bring our cameras on this tour?
Cameras are allowed but we can't guarantee that they won't get wet.
How many people are allowed per departure?
There are a total of 8 guests per routing with a max guide to guest ration of 1:4.
How many people fit on kayak?
Our kayaks fit 2 guests. Guest to guide ratio is 1:4. A minimum of 2 guests is required to book this tour. Solo travelers, please contact us to see if space is available.
What should I wear?
We suggest bringing rain jacket, warm clothes & layers, warm socks, a hat, & gloves.
Will there be any food provided all this tour?
A catered sack lunch will be provided including a sandwich, fruit, dessert, and bottled water. Vegetarian or other dietary restrictions are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
What kind of rapids will we experience and will we get wet on the raft?
Placer River is Class I & II rapids which is a mellow braided river with no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you're concerned about getting splashed, just request a "not splashy spot" in the raft with your guide.
Can I request a private tour for my party?
Yes. Let us know if you would like to reserve a private tour for an additional cost.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!