This will be your best full-day adventure in Alaska! Enjoy the stunning views from the 20-minute helicopter ride as it takes you to your trailhead. You will see cirque glaciers, hanging glaciers, rock glaciers, retreating mountain glaciers, and more. The helicopter will land 2,000 feet high, right next to the Comet Glacier.
Your experienced guide will lead you on a downhill hike to Spencer Glacier Lake. You'll want to keep an eye out for wildlife, and bask in the local flora and fauna that inhabit the area! In total, the hike is roughly 6 miles. Please let us know your hiking experience upon checkout. A catered lunch and hot drinks will be provided along the hike.
Once you reach Spencer Glacier Lake, it's time to hop on a raft for an incredible iceberg rafting adventure! Raft past icebergs, and keep an eye out for Alaska wildlife you may spot along the way.
After your rafting adventure, board the Glacier Discovery Train for a relaxing and scenic adventure before heading back to Anchorage.
You are encouraged to bring/wear hiking boots with good tread, warm layers and rain jackets, gloves, hats, a camera, and binoculars. A minimum of 2 passengers is required to book.
Please note: This tour departs from Girdwood, about 40 miles southeast of Anchorage. If you do not have your own transportation between Anchorage and Girdwood, please add on a $ 125 roundtrip train ticket for each person in your party. You will need to be at the Alaska Railroad Depot at 6 AM on the morning of your tour.
Duration: 8-12 hours (Roundtrip transportation from Anchorage)
- Roundtrip transportation from Anchorage, if selected at checkout
- Catered lunch and hot drinks provided during hike
- Trekking poles (provided if needed)
- Gear/equipment: Rain ponchos, rubber boats, and life vests for the rafting portion of the tour
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Age requirement: 8 years and older
Duration: 8-12 hours. Tour times below are approximate. Italicized text applies to guests arriving via train:
- 6 AM - Arrival Time Anchorage Train Depot
- 6:45 AM - Coastal Classic train departs Anchorage
- 8 AM - Train arrives in Girdwood. Your guide will meet you at the Girdwood Train Station
- 8:05-8:20 AM - Final preparations
- 8:45 AM - Helicopter Departure
- 9:10 AM - Comet Glacier Landing into Spencer Bench Alpine (dependent on the time of year)
- 9:15 AM - 1:30 PM - Comet Heli Hiking to Spencer Lake (6+ miles mostly downhill hike)
- 3 mile Alpine hike through snow (in June/July)
- 3 mile hike down US Forest Service Spencer Bench Cabin Trail
- Please note: the hike can be tailored depending on experience and the weather of the day.
- 2 PM - 4:30 PM - Explore Icebergs on Spencer Lake
- 4:45 PM - Board the AK Railroad Glacier Discovery Train to Portage Station
- 5:05 PM - De-board train at Portage Station and board the shuttle which will return you to Anchorage
- 6 PM - Return to Anchorage
- This tour meets in Girdwood. If you selected the train ticket add-on, you will meet at the Anchorage Train Depot at 6 AM.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
Are there restrooms on this tour?
Yes. There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river.
Are there any age requirements for this tour?
Yes. Guests must be at least 8 years old. Children must be able to wear a life-vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft.
Can we bring our cameras on this tour?
Cameras are allowed and recommended, but we can't guarantee that they won't get wet.
How many people fit on one raft?
The maximum guest capacity is 6 per raft. This tour is private per booking for the helicopter and hiking portion of your trip; and often* private for the rafting portion as well.
*While we can't guarantee a private rafting trip, it does often happen.
What should I wear?
We suggest bringing rain jacket, warm clothes & layers, warm socks, a hat, & gloves. Hiking boots or footwear with good tread are also required.
Will there be any food provided on this tour?
Yes. A catered lunch and hot drinks will be provided on the hiking portion of this tour.
What kind of rapids will we experience and will we get wet on the raft?
Placer River is Class I & II rapids which is a mellow braided river with no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you're concerned about getting splashed, just request a "not splashy spot" in the raft with your guide.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!