A beautiful 45-minute high-speed catamaran ride will take us to Haines where you will meet your guide and board the bus to begin your cultural adventure. Before we head up the scenic Haines byway on the drive up the Chilkat Valley to the village of Klukwan, we'll explore one of the first US military bases in Alaska, historic Fort Seward by bus.
After the drive through the Chilkat Valley and Bald Eagle Preserve, we'll reach Klukwan, "Eternal Village" of the Chilkat people. The Chilkat Tlingit have lived off the bounty of this special place and their close connection to the land will be further revealed throughout our visit. You will have an intimate look at the traditional lifestyle of the Chilkat people as your guide walks you through the Traditional Knowledge Camp. After visiting the Adze Shed where their 37-foot dug-out "Heen Yakgaheiyagoo Yaakw" (Water Spirit Canoe) is stored, we will end our visit in the Tlingit plank style, clan house, "Kaaya Haayi Hit" with storytelling and interpretation of its totemic artworks. You will then get to experience traditional songs and drumming that highlight the cultural heritage.
The next stop is the Heritage Center, this museum quality center provides access to art treasures that have previously not been available to the public. The Heritage Center is situated in a stunningly beautiful location that offers incredible views. From this private setting, your guide will set up spotting scopes to watch for mountain goats on the peaks behind Klukwan, or for eagles feeding on salmon along the river's edge. We will enjoy a picnic lunch while overlooking the glacially fed waters of the Chilkat River.
Once our visit to Klukwan is wrapped up we'll board our bus for another beautiful drive through the Chilkat Valley and Bald Eagle Preserve back to Haines. Upon our arrival in Haines, we will board the ferry for our return trip to Skagway.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Picnic style lunch included
Duration: 6.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 75 minutes - Meet your representative and board the ferry for the 50-minute narrated ride to Haines
- 60 minutes - Upon Arrival in Haines, you'll meet your guide and driver, drive by the historic Fort Seward, up through the Haines Scenic Byway, through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve to the native village of Klukwan
- 70 minutes - Walk through the Heritage Center to view the Whale House Collection and other exhibits
- 40 minutes - Walk through the Tradition Knowledge Camp, carving shed and salmon drying smokehouse. You will end at the clan house for traditional storytelling and drumming
- 35 minutes - Head to the hospitality house overlooking the Chilkat River for a picnic style lunch and some free time with our spotting scopes
- 110 minutes - Ride back through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve to Haines and return back to Skagway by ferry
- Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Who are my guides?
One of our professional naturalist guides will host the tour and narrate the drive from the port in Haines to the village of Klukwan. Once in Klukwan, local villagers with expert personal knowledge of their native culture will share their history and traditions with you.
Is there a bathroom?
Restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for your tour, on the ferry during your travel to Haines and on-site at Klukwan.
Does this tour cancel due to weather?
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activity for the day.
What if I have a food allergy?
Just let us know when you are making your reservation. We have alternative lunch options to accommodate most dietary restrictions with advance notice at no additional charge.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!