Dogsledding is Alaska's favorite sport and now you have a chance to take part! Meet our professional mushers and canine athletes at Seward Kennel dog camp. Watch firsthand as your dog team takes a series of commands that will leave you spellbound.
This kennel tour showcases the high level of training that goes into cultivating a team. Enjoy a fun, zippy ride on our dog cart where you will see the dogs listen to the command and navigate the camp trail. Learn what "Gee" and "Haw" mean and enjoy a presentation on dog mushing.
The best part of the tour is the dog sled ride! Prepare yourself for a one-of-a-kind experience. No prior mushing experience is needed. Learn all about how we train and prepare our dogs for races, hear exciting tales from the trail, and experience Alaska's state sport for yourself. The team of dogs will guide you through the 1.5-mile-long wood trail.
We keep the tour size small, so you will have plenty of time to ask questions, meet the dogs, and snuggle our husky puppies. This hands-on tour is a must to do for Alaskan visitors!
Duration: 1.25 hours (Roundtrip transportation. Dogsled ride: 20 minutes.)
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Young children must hold the hand of a parent/guardian during the duration of the tour.
- Participants must sign a liability waiver (parent must sign for minors)
Duration: 1.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 5 minutes - overview of dog lot rules and how to interact with dogs
- 10 minutes - introduction to canine athletes and social interaction
- 20 minutes - education about mushers and dogs
- 10~20 minutes - photo opportunities and cuddle with sled dog puppies
- 20 minutes - dog sled ride
- This tour meets either at the tour operator's office in Seward. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. Please leave a comment during checkout if wheelchair assistance or any other assistance is required.
What type of clothing should I wear?
You don't really need any special clothing, but make sure you are comfortable. We recommend closed toed shoes in the dog lot. Sled dogs can be playful. Guests who want the full kennel experience are advised to wear a rain jacket or another piece of clothing they don't mind getting a little dirty.
Is there a bathroom at the kennel?
Yes. We have a portable toilet available at the facility.
Can we pet and play with the sled dogs?
Yes. Under the supervision of our guides, we invite you to pet and play with our dogs as they love human interaction.
Do you operate this tour in the rain?
Yes. We run our tours rain or shine. The dogs love running in the rain! We have rain gear available for guests if needed. Our gear demonstration and puppy holding is held under a covered area where we sometimes have a fire going to keep our guests warm. Our cart is covered as well.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Jun 2019 - David P.
Brilliant,well worth visiting just to see the puppies.
May 2019 - William S.
The kennel tour was amazing. The dogs were very friendly and just loved to get the chance to be hitched up and run. The hosts were provided an informative and entertaining presentation in a pleasant forested setting.