Seward Harding Icefield Hike Tour
Experience the Backcountry of Kenai Fjords National Park, All in a Day
You're in for a remarkable day of hiking on this 8.2-mile round trip trail through Kenai Fjords National Park. The Harding Icefield Trail passes through alder and cottonwood forests to an elevation of more than 4000 feet.
This tour is strenuous, ideal for avid hikers and/or guests who exercise regularly. You'll be rewarded for your efforts along the way, with views of mountains, magnificent trees, and wildflower-filled meadows.
The highlight of this trail is when you reach the top and find yourself looking out at hundreds of square miles of ancient ice. The ancient glaciers that make up Harding Icefield stretch as far as the eye can see, dotted with the occasional nunatak (a mountain peak protruding from the ice, from the Inuit word nunataq).
This less-traveled, small group hike through the backcountry is made accessible by your guide. Narration and guided interpretation from local experts are what set this tour apart!
If you like adventure, being outside, and learning about fascinating glacial ecology, consider embarking on this remote hike through Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Round-trip ground transportation from Seward
- Lunch: deli wraps, granola bar, piece of fruit
- Professional Wilderness Guide on an interpretive guided hike
- Minimum of 2 participants required to book
- Minimum age of 10. Everyone participating, including children, must be prepared for a challenging backcountry hike. Please determine if this tour is a good fit for younger members of your group before booking.
- Guests must have appropriate clothing for hiking: Layers, sturdy hiking boots/shoes, waterproof rain jacket (rain pants recommended)
- Please bring snacks and a larger water bottle (can be filled at our facility).
- Please bring a camera, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, and other small personal items you may require.
- We strongly recommend eating a hearty breakfast before embarking on the hike.
Duration: 8 hours (Roundtrip from Seward. )
- 15 minutes - transport to Kenai Fjords National Park
- 15 minutes - safety briefing
- 7.5 hours - hiking
- 30 minutes - return transport back to Seward
- This tour meets at the operator's office in Seward. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible. Guests should be very active and comfortable hiking 8.2 miles/over 4000 feet of elevation in one day. You should be prepared for stronger sunlight/heat than you may expect, sudden weather/temperature changes, and potentially snow on portions of the trail. Please be aware that there are no bathrooms in the backcountry, and you will have to "go" outside in nature. Facilities are available before and after the tour.
This tour is not recommended for children under 10. Children that are highly active or involved in rigorous activities may book this tour. Please carefully review the details of this listing before reserving tickets for any children in your party.
There are bathrooms available before and after the tour, but this remote trail does not have any toilet facilities along the route. All guests are required to use Leave No Trace practices when relieving themselves on the trail. Any and all trash must be kept on your person and brought out of the park with you; no garbage cans are available. Alpine ecology is very delicate and we ask you to please respect National Park Service land and your fellow hikers by adhering to all guidelines. Your guide is there to answer questions!
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour. You will want a bag that can comfortably carry your water, snacks, and personal items.
Yes, you should bring your own snacks and sufficient water on this tour.
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
We do not have any review about this excursion yet.
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 8 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
"Best Price Guarantee" means we offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because
we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many
excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Duration: 8 hours