Only by air can you fully appreciate the dramatic beauty of land that has been slowly crafted by the hands of nature over tens of thousands of years. On the Ketchikan Misty Fjords Flightseeing via Floatplane, discover the magnificent Misty Fjords National Monument and view some of the most spectacular scenery in Alaska from the comfort of your window seat. Enjoy a personal pilot narration with individual headsets on this once in a lifetime experience. You can even follow your flight route on the provided detailed map and guide.
A highlight of your flightseeing tour will be an exhilarating landing on an alpine lake or remote fjord. Step out onto the pontoon of the seaplane with your pilot to enjoy the fresh mountain air, eagle calls, and breathtaking scenery. The monument is home to some of the most dramatic scenery in Alaska. Boasting 2.3 million acres, it is almost four times the area of Rhode Island.
Massive glacier action created this ice-rimmed wilderness. See majestic fjords, cascading waterfalls, jewel-like lakes, and abundant wildlife during yours flightseeing exploration. Marvel at sheer walls of granite plunging over 3,000 feet into the fjords, lush forests of spruce, hemlock and cedar clinging to snowcapped peaks, in this land of incredible natural beauty and rugged grandeur.
The dramatic Misty Fjords terrain is home to a multitude of wildlife. The astute observer may be rewarded with sightings of brown and black bear, Sitka black-tailed deer, wolves, moose and bald eagles, as your expert bush pilot flies over this paradise. Visible only from the air, see the splendid 1,000 foot waterfall flowing from Big Goat Lake, which was named for the region's concentration of mountain goat. Colonies of these marvelous high mountain creatures can be spotted and photographed from the air.
Included: Once onboard the aircraft, each passenger will receive an individual noise canceling digital headset to enjoy the pilot.
Duration: 2 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Flight time: 90 minutes.)
- Noise canceling digital headset to listen to the pilot's narration
- Remote mountain lake landing with option to step onto the plane's floats
- Guests must be comfortable walking short distances
Duration: 2 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 30 minutes roundtrip transportation to floatplane base
- 15 minutes preflight safety briefing and preparation
- 1.25 hours flightseeing via floatplane
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. A golf cart can be made available to transport guests down to the plane loading area with prior knowledge. Guests must be able to get on and off the aircraft with minimal assistance. Wheelchairs are not provided. Guests who have a wheelchair will not be able to take the wheelchair on the plane. Please leave a comment during checkout if ADA accommodations will be required on tour.
How many passengers ride in the floatplane together?
There is a maximum of either 6 or 9 passengers per floatplane. If there are more than 9 passengers, multiple planes will fly at the same time for the tour to accommodate the additional guests.
What is the temperature in the floatplane?
The temperature during flight is roughly similar to the ground temperature, and each plane is equiped with heaters if necessary.
Will I get a window seat on the plane?
Yes, all seats on the floatplane have a window view.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Small bags may be brought along but must be stored in the rear cargo area of the floatplane.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drinks are included.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking short distances. Wheelchair assistance is available upon request.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing and water resistant jackets are recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!