Join this local Alaskan guided tour for your chance to warm up at the famous Chena Hot Springs before chasing the Northern Lights! This small group tour begins in Fairbanks and makes the wintery drive to Chena Hot Spring Resort. Here, we'll visit the Aurora Ice Museum, relax in the Chena Hot Springs mineral water rock pools, hunt the elusive Aurora Borealis, and enjoy an Alaskan dinner. During your tour, your knowledgeable guide will be there to direct you through each activity.
At Chena Hot Springs we will tour the world-class Aurora Ice Museum where you'll walk through the gallery of ice art sculptures created and maintained for over 10 years! While in the Aurora Ice Museum, guests 21 years and older have time to purchase a cocktail that is served in real ice "glassware" at the Aurora Ice Bar which has caribou fur covered stools by the ice fireplace! Please note that the ice martini is not included in the cost of the tour and is approximately $15 per person.
After the Ice Museum, we'll eat dinner at the Chena Hot Springs Restaurant which boasts greenhouse to table dining featuring "Chena Fresh" lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and herbs grown in the local greenhouses at Chena Hot Springs. Don't worry, this plated dinner of an Alaskan catch, fresh seasonal vegetables, and a dessert at the restaurant is included in your tour!
Following dinner, soak in the healing waters of Chena Hot Springs' mineral water rock pools. This outside geothermal hot spring is for ages 18 years and older, but you can also take advantage of the indoor pool and hot tubs that have chlorinated geothermal water! Don't forget to bring your swimsuit and a towel from your hotel on this tour and quarters for the lockers. If weather permits, you may witness the Aurora Borealis from the comfort of the Hot Springs!
Extending our hunt for the Aurora, we'll drive to a private aurora viewing yurt at the remote Last Frontier Mushing Co-Op property, located within a popular Aurora viewing location! Here, you'll be able to sit back and relax inside the traditional yurt or spend your evening outside playing in the snow while looking for the Northern Lights! The Northern Lights facility will be heated for your comfort. Additionally, you'll have access to a clean and private outhouse for a genuine Alaskan experience, lounge area with seating and tables, and complimentary hot beverages, treats, and instant ramen noodles!
Once we're done chasing the Northern Lights, we will then make our return drive to Fairbanks in the early hours of the morning while making additional stops for Aurora viewing on the way. If mother nature gives us a good show, our approximate arrival back into Fairbanks is between 2:30am and 3:30am the following morning. Complimentary snacks and bottled glacier wellness water are available onboard the sprinter van.
A note about the Aurora: The Aurora is a beautiful thing! She has many variables... ones we can control and ones we cannot control. The variables of aurora viewing we cannot control include the weather and the solar activity/aurora activity.
Duration: 12 hours (Roundtrip from pick-up location on ticket voucher.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Narration from local Alaskan guide
- Aurora Ice Museum admission
- Outdoor rock pool / Indoor pool swim & soak pass
- Private aurora viewing facility and aurora walk with snowshoes
- Winter gear (per request)
- Greenhouse to Table local dinner
- Complimentary snacks, baked treats, instant ramen noodles, hot beverages and bottled Alaksan glacier water
- Pick up from major Fairbanks hotels per request (limit 3 hotel pick ups per tour, based on first come first serve basis)
Duration: 12 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 2 hours narrated tour to Chena Hot Springs
- 2 hours at Aurora Ice Museum
- 1 hour dinner
- 1 hour swim and soak
- 1 hour and 30 minutes tranportation to private aurora viewing facility
- 3 hours and 30 minutes aurora viewing
- 1 hour transportation to Fairbanks
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Swimsut, towel and quarters for lockers
- Pregnant guests are not allowed in the outdoor rock pool at the Chena Hot Springs
- This tour meets at a few local hotels. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We reccomend wearing layers, a weatherproof outer coat, comfortable shoes and sunglasses.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!