Your adventure will commence on the shoreline of the Kenai River in Cooper Landing, Alaska. This glacially fed river is the Kenai Peninsula's longest at 82 miles long. You'll enjoy a full 4 hours of packrafting, so be ready for an action-packed day.
If you've never used a packraft, that's no problem! We'll provide expert instruction for beginners. A packraft is a small float resembling an inflatable kayak. Since they're very durable and lightweight, they are especially useful for rough terrain in places like the Alaskan backcountry.
While you paddle down the river, your guide will share stories and local anecdotes about the area. They'll also point out secret viewpoints that you may not see otherwise! Wildlife can sometimes be spotted in the water or along the shoreline. The Kenai River is world-renowned for its huge king salmon populations, boasting the record for the largest sport-caught king salmon in the world at 97 pounds.
Get out on the water for 4 hours of fresh mountain air, stunning scenic vistas, exciting rapid conditions, and so much fun!
This tour is considered moderately difficult and rapids are typically encountered. Guests should be at least 14 years old and regularly active. Please note: This tour meets in Cooper Landing, AK. If you will require roundtrip transportation from Seward, please select the 1 ticket "with transport." Tours with transportation meet at 7:30 AM and 12:30 PM. Tours without transportation begin at 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Please note: This tour takes place in Cooper Landing, about 50 miles from Seward. If you require roundtrip transportation from Seward, please select either the 7:30 AM or 12:30 PM tour. Tours at 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM meet directly in Cooper Landing and DO NOT include transportation.
Duration: 4 hours (Roundtrip from Seward. )
- Professional guide service and expert packraft instruction
- Packrafting equipment: paddles, drysuit, life jackets, helmets, drybag for personal belongings
- Round-trip transportation from Seward, if selected
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum age of 14
- All guests must be reasonably fit and able to walk safely on uneven terrain
- Dress in layers appropriate for current weather conditions. A waterproof dry suit is provided for rafting.
- Please eat a hearty breakfast in the morning prior to arriving for your trip, and bring snacks and a full water bottle.
- Please bring your camera, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, and any personal items you will need. A dry bag is provided for personal items you need during the tour.
Duration: 4 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 1.5 hours - transport to Seward (if selected)
- 4 hours - packrafting
- This tour meets in Cooper Landing, AK. Please purchase a ticket including roundtrip transport from Seward if you do not have transportation. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What is packrafting?
Packrafts are very light, inflatable boats that are paddled and used much like a kayak. Packrafts are extremely stable and are often used for traversing rapids.
Are these single or tandem kayaks?
We use single-person packrafts. Everyone paddles their own raft.
Do I need packrafting experience to participate on this trip?
No experience is necessary for this trip. Your guide will provide expert instruction and training for those that have never packrafted before.
Are there bathrooms available?
There are bathrooms available before and after the tour, but not while rafting.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour. We provide a drybag for your personal items.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!