Embark on an adventure to Neets Bay! Your experienced captain will guide you on a saltwater safari through the Tongass Narrows, Clover Passage, and temperate rainforest to Neets Bay, navigating the vessel on a path of scenic sanctuaries, stunning bays and inlets, past a majestic lighthouse, seeking marine and coastal wildlife viewing opportunities along the way. Quite often you will be able to observe the captivating behavior of whales breaching, revere bear trails and salmon streams, and marvel at bald eagles feasting on salmon leftovers from the bears foraging.
At Neets Bay, black bears fill the shoreline while they feed on salmon in nutrient-rich waters. Keep an eye out, for sightings of other local wildlife like the Sitka black-tailed deer, mink, marten, and seals all from the comfort of a cozy Coastal Cruiser.
While wildlife is abundant, sightings are not guaranteed. Neets Bay is located 40 miles north of Ketchikan and approximately 90-110 minutes by boat. PLEASE NOTE: THIS EXCURSION OPERATES JULY - SEPTEMBER ONLY.
Duration: 4-5 hours (Roundtrip from the cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Light snacks provided on the boat
- Binoculars for viewing opportunities
- Must be at least 5 years of age
- Appropriate clothing per weather
Duration: 4-5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 4-5 hours roundtrip boat transportation to Neets Bay
- Meet at the Ketchikan Visitor Bureau, booth 10 and 1, on Berth 2. Meeting instructions are detailed on excursion tickets.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. You must be able to walk up the gangplank, board vessel, and hike an uneven trail. Must be able to step up 2 stairs to the viewing platform. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for equipment will be required on tour. If the operator is unaware beforehand of necessary accommodations, they may not be able to accommodate guests day-of.
How many passengers does the boat hold?
Our cozy Coastal Cruiser Boat can carry 6 passengers.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
You will have a guide who is knowledgeable about the wildlife that inhabit the rainforest, and it is extremely likely that you will see bears but not guaranteed. You may also see whales, salmon streams, and bald eagles on your way to the bear viewing falls.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
This is a limited use area. Minimum age is 5 years and above.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We recomend wearing clothes that can be layered. A lightweight shirt, sweater, and jacket will allow you to adapt to varying temperatures. Waterproof hiking shoes or sneakers are also recomended. Also, pack a hat and sunglasses.
Will we get off the boat and visit a bear viewing platform?
No, all the bear and wildlife viewing will be enjoyed from the comfort of a coastal cruiser.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!